Phenomenal boost for fleet sales team
Results for Volvo’s fleet sales team went through the roof after working with Rob Purfield - shifting 3,000 EXTRA cars in one year.
Participants saw their business-to-business sales performance improve by over 50% in 12 months with our Insights programme – more than doubling targets!
The 75-year-old Volvo brand’s internationally recognised core values are safety, quality and respect for the environment, which today’s fleet buyers relate to readily. However, the board recognised that brand alone is never enough and asked Rob Purfield to partner it on a corporate development programme for dealer principals, senior sales management and business sales managers.
This programme was designed to not only define best corporate sales practices but dramatically boost actual conversions by driving high numbers of cold calls that would lead to outstanding, consistent sales results for Volvo.
Instilling a killer combination of focus, drive, belief and attitude was key. Our research shows that companies who wish to convert average performance into outstanding performance must go well beyond the sales process, which is why our team used carefully chosen tools and techniques. Among these were accelerated learning and a wide range of specialist people development methods, including the power of neuro linguistic processes.
Driven and informed by our 25 years’ motor industry sales experience and exposure to the behaviour patterns of top automotive sales performers, we believe we have devised a truly unique offer for the industry.
Kastner business sales manager, Tom Ashford, told us what Insights has done for him:
“The programme was a real eye opener. What I learned helped me understand people better; to take a step back and think about the person I am dealing with. I refer to it all the time and use it every day. It’s particularly good when selling in a business-to-business scenario.”
The results were startling:
- Customer connections made: 53,972
- Conversations with decision makers: 14,050
- Extra test drives : 6,149
- Extra Cars sold: 2,960
The dynamic programme was organised around six key activities:
- Dealer assessment
- Coaching and mentoring
- Customer identification programme
- Monthly regional workshops and quarterly national motivational forums
- Measurement and reporting
Initially, it was delivered in on-site showroom visits – where we discussed and assessed programme content needs with dealer principals and senior sales management.
- Harratts business sales manager, Roger Burhkill, added: “Some of the background information was fascinating and could be a huge separate programme in itself – understanding different personality types when you are in a sales situation. Fascinating! The prospect of having to pick up the telephone and cold call people can be a daunting one, even for the most confident sales person and there is often a lot of emotional baggage attached to the exercise. The consultants tackled this effectively by demonstrating to the Volvo team how easily they could banish all of their limiting beliefs – not only for this activity but for all areas of their lives.
- William A Lewis business sales manager, Philip Ellson, reported: “The thing that stands out for me about the programme is the positivity it has given me towards prospecting. The whole ethos – some will, some won’t, so move on! – has helped me tremendously when looking for new business. It’s a very positive philosophy that really works.”
- Lloyds Motors dealer principal, Gary Horn, concluded: “The programme gave our BSMs the confidence and the focus to get on and do their business. We are much more positive about cold calling now, because Insights has broken down all barriers and introduced the principles and disciplines needed to get the results. I would say to others considering a corporate programme with Rob Purfield, “Do it.” It can only improve your business. Don’t be naive enough to think you know it all.”
The success of the Insights programme stems from the unique combination of Rob’s many years in auto industry corporate sales as well as his in-depth understanding of human psychology. The team’s initial target was a 25% increase in corporate sales over a 12-month period, but actually went on to more than double this with an outstanding 53% rise.